This visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident
or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.
An application is made at the same time for both the temporary and permanent visa application.
In most cases, applicants are not eligible for the permanent visa until two years after their application is made.
Applications should be lodged in Australia.
820 - Temporary visa permitting the holder to travel to, enter and remain in Australia until the permanent visa is granted.
801- Permanent visa permitting the holder to travel to and enter Australia for a period of 5 years from the date of grant.
GOV PROCESSING TIMES
17-24 months from date of lodgement of 820 visa
16-21 months from date of eligibility for 801 visas
It should be noted that Immigration will assess first those applications that are classed as low risk applications and which they assess as are decision ready. Actual processing times may vary depending on a range of factors.
Additional Applicant (over 18)
Additional applicant (under 18)
Other fees may include:
- Migration Agent Fees
- Private Medical insurance
- Police Certificates
You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.
VISA REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- You are sponsored by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- You are married or in a de-facto relationship with your sponsor
- You must be in a mutually exclusive, genuine and continuing relationship with your spouse/de facto partner.
- You live with your spouse/partner or do not live apart on a permanent basis.
- Ensuring your partner is not prohibited from sponsoring applicants for the Partner visa
- You meet both the health and character criteria.